Before trying a new diet or embarking on a fitness regimen, ask yourself “Am I drinking enough water?” Both of those efforts will be sabotaged if you’re water deficient. One of the hardest things for me to do is to increase my water intake especially during the winter season when I’d rather be drinking coffee or wine to get me through the cold months. But it’s key to maximizing your fitness goals and the more water you drink, the easier it is to incorporate it into your healthy eating habits.
Here’s why –
1. Water removes toxins in the body. Drink a glass of water (I prefer distilled because it goes down easy) first thing in the morning to help your bowels move the undigested waste and prevent constipation.
2. Water speeds up your metabolism. When you’re dehydrated, body functions slow down and you won’t burn calories efficiently.
3. Staying hydrated protects your joints and cartilage as well as keeps our organs functioning. Our bodies are 60% water!
4. Drinking water helps to prevent overeating by making you feel fuller. It also keeps carb cravings in check.
5. Drink water with your meals instead of soda or juice to reduce your calorie intake by at least 300 calories a day. Don’t wait until you feel thirsty to drink water. Follow the 8x8 rule – 8 glasses of 8 ounces of water daily or about a half a gallon.
*Helpful hint – to burn more calories; drink your water at a cold temperature to force the body to use energy to heat it to body temperature.